Packaging Tips To Make Storage Easy & Damage Free
– Gather up plenty of sturdy, corrugated cartons, packing paper, bubble wrap, sealing tape and marker pens, along with any furniture covers.
Prevent Dust Collection
– Boxes that are tightly sealed with packing tape will prevent dust from entering.
– Wrap furniture legs with protective bubble wrap, furniture covers or pads to prevent scratching.
– Leave slipcovers on upholstered chairs and cover them with plastic chair covers.
– Tape or tie bed rails together. Mark the pieces for easier assembly later. Place covers or plastic bags on mattresses to keep them clean during storage.
– Label boxes on all sides for easy identification.
– Keep a list (as well as pictures and descriptions) at your home or office for reference.
– Mark clearly all boxes containing fragile items.
– Make sure fragile boxes are placed on top of heavier, less delicate boxes.
Use Extra Space
– Use valuable space inside dresser drawers and larger appliances, such as stoves and refrigerators, to store small items such as towels, linens and small, fragile items.
– Secure items in drawer by filling empty spaces with towels or packing paper.
Same Size Boxes
– Pack as much as you can in the same size boxes.
– Fill boxes tightly, but take care to neither over pack nor under pack. (Bulging cartons tip when stacked, while half full boxes tend to collapse).
– Use wadded up newsprint, bubble wrap, rags, towels, or blankets to fill in empty spaces. For maximum protection seal cartons with tape.
Heavy Items & Books
– Pack heavy items such as books and tools in small boxes.
– For easier handling limit the weight of all cartons, regardless of size, to 30lbs. or less.
– Pack books flat to protect their spines.
– Line cartons with plastic and fill empty spaces with packing paper.
– Clean and dry appliances before storing.
– Secure all movable parts with paper, or wedge and wrap a paper pad around each item for protection.
– During transport tape all doors shut, but remember to wedge them open for storage.
Dishware & Glassware
– Use lots of paper to pack dishes and glassware.
– Place a layer of packing paper inside the bottom and top of cartons.
– Wrap each dish and glass separately and cushion them with crumpled paper. Plates are best stacked on edge.
– Hang clothes and draperies in wardrobe boxes.
– Pack lamps and lampshades in individual boxes. Use plenty of clean paper or clothing for padding.
– Pad mirrors and paintings with paper. Place them in special mirror packs or large boxes; mark boxes.
Check out our Storage Tips!